Dell Networking S4048-ON
10/40GbE top-of-rack open networking switch.
High-density, 1RU 48-port 10GbE switch with six 40GbE uplinks and ultra-low-latency, non-blocking performance to ensure line-rate performance.
The Dell Networking S4048-ON switch is Dell’s latest data center networking solution empowering organizations to deploy modern workloads and applications designed for the open networking era.
Businesses who have made the transition away from monolithic proprietary mainframe systems to industry standard server platforms can now enjoy even greater benefits from Dell open networking platforms. By using industry-leading hardware and a choice of leading network operating systems to simplify data center fabric orchestration and automation, organizations can tailor their network to their unique requirements and accelerate innovation.
These new offerings provide the needed flexibility to transform data centers and offer high-capacity network fabrics that are cost-effective, easy to deploy and provide a clear path to a software-defined data center of the future without having to worry about vendor lock-in.
The Dell S4048-ON supports the open source Open Network Install Environment (ONIE) for zero-touch installation of alternate network operating system including feature rich Dell Networking OS.
Ultra-low-latency, data center optimized
The Dell Networking S-Series S4048-ON is an ultra-low-latency 10/40GbE top-of-rack (ToR) switch built for applications in high-performance data center and computing environments. Leveraging a non-blocking switching architecture, the S4048-ON delivers line-rate L2 and L3 forwarding capacity with ultra-low-latency to maximize network performance. The compact S4048-ON design provides industry-leading density of 48 dual-speed 1/10GbE (SFP+) ports as well as six 40GbE QSFP+ uplinks to conserve valuable rack space and simplify the migration to 40Gbps in the data center core (Each 40GbE QSFP+ uplink can also support four 10GbE ports with a breakout cable). In addition, the S4048-ON incorporates multiple architectural features that optimize data center network flexibility, efficiency and availability, including I/O panel to PSU airflow or PSU to I/O panel airflow for hot/cold aisle environments, and redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans.
S4048-ON supports feature-rich Dell Networking OS, VLT, network virtualization features such as VRF-lite, VXLAN Gateway and support for Dell Embedded Open Automation Framework.
- The S4048-ON is the only switch in the industry that provides customers an unbiased approach to Network Virtualization by supporting both network centric virtualization method (VRF-lite) and Hypervisor centric virtualization method (VXLAN).
- The S4048-ON also supports Dell Networking’s Embedded Open Automation Framework, which provides enhanced network automation and virtualization capabilities for virtual data center environments.
- The Open Automation Framework comprises a suite of interrelated network management tools that can be used together or independently to provide a network that is flexible, available and manageable while helping to reduce operational expenses.
Dynamic data centers ready to make the transition to software defined environments.
- Ultra-low-latency 10GbE switching in HPC, high-speed trading or other business-sensitive deployments that require the highest bandwidth and lowest latency;
- High-density 10GbE ToR server access in high-performance data center environments.
When running the Dell Networking OS9, Active Fabric™ implementation for large deployments in conjunction with the Dell Z Series, creating a flat, two-tier, nonblocking 10/40GbE data center network design.
- Small-scale Active Fabric implementation via the S4048- ON switch in leaf and spine along with S Series 1/10GbE ToR switches enabling cost-effective aggregation of 10/40GbE uplinks;
- iSCSI storage deployment including DCB converged lossless transactions;
- High-performance SDN/OpenFlow 1.33 enabled with ability to inter-operate with industry standard OpenFlow controllers;
- As a high speed VXLAN Layer 2 Gateway that connects the hypervisor based ovelray networks with nonvirtualized infrastructure.
Key features - General
- 48 dual-speed 1/10GbE (SFP+) ports and six 40GbE (QSFP+) uplinks (totaling 72 10GbE ports with breakout cables) with OS support;
- 1.44Tbps (full-duplex) non-blocking switching fabric delivers line-rate performance under full load with sub 700ns latency;
- I/O panel to PSU airflow or PSU to I/O panel airflow;
- Supports the open source ONIE for zero-touch;
- installation of alternate network operating systems;
- Redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans;
- Low power consumption;
- Support for multi-tenancy lilke VXLAN and NVGRE in hardware.
Key features with Dell Networking OS9
Scalable L2 and L3 Ethernet switching with QoS and a full complement of standards-based IPv4 and IPv6 features, including OSPF, BGP and PBR (Policy Based Routing) support.
- VRF-lite enables sharing of networking infrastructure and provides L3 traffic isolation across tenants;
- Increase VM Mobility region by stretching L2 VLAN within or across two DCs with unique VLT capabilities like Routed VLT, VLT Proxy Gateway;
- VXLAN gateway functionality support for bridging the nonvirtualized and the virtualized overlay networks with line rate performance;
- Embedded Open Automation Framework adding automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of network environments. Supports Puppet agent for DevOps;
- Modular Dell Networking OS software delivers inherent stability as well as enhanced monitoring and serviceability functions;
- Enhanced mirroring capabilities including 1:4 local mirroring, Remote Port Mirroring (RPM), and Encapsulated Remote Port Mirroring (ERPM). Rate shaping combined with flow based mirroring enables the user to analyze fine grained flows;
- Jumbo frame support for large data transfers;
- 128 link aggregation groups with up to 16 members per group, using enhanced hashing;
- Converged network support for DCB, with priority flow control (802.1Qbb), ETS (802.1Qaz), DCBx and iSCSI TLV support Fastboot feature enables min-loss software upgrade on a standalone S4048-ON without VLT/stacking;
- S4048-ON supports Routable RoCE to enable convergence of compute and storage on Active Fabric;
- User port stacking support for up to six units.