Dell Networking S3048-ON
1GbE top-of-rack open networking switch.
High-density, 1RU 48-port 1000BASE-T+ with four 10GbE uplinks, non-blocking line-rate performance, featuring the Open Networking Install Environment (ONIE).
High density 1000BASE-T switch
The Dell Networking S3048-ON 1000BASE-T Top-of-Rack (ToR) switch is the industry’s first 1GbE enterprise switching platform to deliver both an industry hardened OS and support for open networking, providing freedom to run third-party operating systems (OS), such as Cumulus Linux.
This open networking platform is built for high-performance, software-defined data centers and provides the features to run traditional workloads and the flexibility to deploy new workloads such as Hadoop, SDS and Big Data. As the only 1GbE platform with support for open networking, the S3048-ON offers the flexibility to run OS options optimized for these diverse deployment needs on a common hardware platform and architecture.
The S3048-ON features a non-blocking switching architecture coupled with OS9.X software, delivering line-rate L2/L3 features for maximized network performance. The S3048-ON design provides (48) 1000BASE-T ports that support 10MB/100MB/1GB and four 10GbE SFP+ uplinks. Each 10GbE interface can be used as uplinks to the network spine/core, as stack ports to connect up to eight units in a stacked configuration, or a combination of both, depending on network architecture and uplink/stack bandwidth requirements.
The S3048-ON incorporates multiple architectural features that optimize data center network flexibility, efficiency and availability. including:
- I/O panel to PSU airflow or PSU to I/O panel airflow for hot/cold aisle environments;
- Redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans with color coded touch points for ease of identification/removal;
- Dell ReadyRails for efficient installation of the switch into data center cabinets.
The S3048-ON also supports Dell Networking’s Embedded Open Automation Framework, which provides advanced network automation and virtualization capabilities for virtual data center environments. Embedded Open Automation Framework is a suite of network management apps that can be used together or independently to provide a network that is flexible, available and manageable while helping to reduce operational expenses.
- High-density 1000BASE-T ToR server aggregation in highperformance data centers environments;
- Active Fabric™ designs with the S- or Z-Series core switch to create a two tier, 1/10/40GbE data center network architecture;
- Enterprise, Web 2.0 and cloud service providers’ data center networks for ToR applications;
- High-performance SDN/OpenFlow 1.3 enabled with ability to inter-operate with industry standard OpenFlow controllers.
- Four SFP+ 10GbE ports for maximum flexibility and investment protection;
- I/O panel to PSU airflow or PSU to I/O panel airflow;
- Redundant, hot-swappable power supplies and fans;
- Supports ONIE for zero-touch installation of alternate network operating systems;
- Open Networking offers choice of OS, such as Dell Networking OS9.X for inherent stability and feature richness, or the flexibility of a third-part OS (such as Cumulus Linux);
- VRF-lite enables sharing of networking infrastructure and provides L3 traffic isolation across tenants (including support for multicast and IPv6 routing);
- Enhanced automation capabilities (puppet agent, REST API extensions);
- Supports jumbo frames for high-end performance in virtualized environments and IP storage/server communication;
- Increase VM Mobility region by stretching L2 VLAN within or across two DCs with unique VLT capabilities like Routed VLT, VLT Proxy Gateway;
- User port stacking support for up to six units managed as one logical device;
- Embedded Open Automation Framework adds VM awareness automated configuration and provisioning capabilities to simplify the management of virtual network environments.