The Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Series Switches provides Cisco FlexStack stacking and both the Cisco Catalyst 2960-S and 2960 Series switches provide Layer 2 networking to enable resiliency and availability.
Other high-availability features include but are not limited to:
• Cross-Stack EtherChannel provides the ability to configure Cisco EtherChannel technology across different members of the Cisco FlexStack for high resiliency.
• Flexlink provides link redundancy with convergence time less than 100 ms.
• IEEE 802.1s/w Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP) and Multiple Spanning Tree Protocol (MSTP) provide rapid spanning-tree convergence independent of spanning-tree timers and also offer the benefit of Layer 2 load balancing and distributed processing. Stacked units behave as a single spanning-tree node.
• Per-VLAN Rapid Spanning Tree (PVRST+) allows rapid spanning-tree reconvergence on a per-VLAN spanning-tree basis, without requiring the implementation of spanning-tree instances.
• Switch-port Autorecovery (Errdisable) automatically attempts to reactivate a link that is disabled because of a network error.
A stack module can be added to any Cisco Catalyst 2960-S switch with LAN Base software to quickly upgrade the switch to make it stack capable, and the switch added to the stack will upgrade to the correct Cisco IOS® Software version and transparently become a stack member.